What is your favorite weather?

December 2nd, 2009

This is my husband’s favorite weather: clear, blue skies.

He says it’s because he grew up in Houston and just loves to see the sun.  Fortunately, he doesn’t care if it’s cold, as long as he can see the sun.

Since this is his favorite weather, he’s really scored around here this past summer and fall, because we’ve had some great weather.  Today he even said, “If our winters were always like this, I could happily live here the rest of my life.”

And then we come to my favorite weather: melancholy rain.

I’m one of the few people here who actually enjoy the rain and to be honest, I have no idea why.  I think it’s because I grew up in Northern Nevada where it rarely rained.  And when it did, my Father was so happy because he didn’t have to water our 3 acres of grass.  So rain became something rare, special and exciting to me.

Whatever the reason, something about it just calls to my soul.  It feels cozy and safe and wonderfully romantic.  If we go too long without rain, I miss it.  And when I finally wake up to a cool, overcast day, I smile and sigh, “All is right with the world again.”

When the rain comes in the fall, I love to indulge the introverted homebody in me and snuggle at home with the boys and read books, organize the house, and play trains all day long.  It’s a relaxing, restorative treat for me after the busyness of summer outings (that I still need to post about someday…).  And it’s another reason I welcome the rain with a smile.

Since this is my favorite weather, I’ve also really scored around here this past fall.  Because interspersed with the blue skies have been reprieves of wetness.  I could definitely live here happily for the rest of my life.

So, here’s to hoping for a great winter that satisfies my sunny husband and his rainy wife. :)

What about you?  What is your favorite weather and why?

Jesse | 12/3/2009 7:34 am

I thought about this for a minute. I don’t really have a type of weather I would take over another everyday. I think I am most fond of the change of the weather. Rainy days are great after sunny ones. A snowy winter is just the thing after a steamy fall. The spectrum of weather is something that Cori and I loved about living in Northern Nevada. Though, it is pretty light on the number of rainy days available- certainly compared to where you are now.

Sounds like y’all are in the best place for your preferences! How great!

cara | 12/3/2009 11:23 am

The Arizona girl in me loves blue skies and sunshine but I loved the rain there too. My favorite weather has to be crisp clear winter days that we can still go out and play in but we have to put on hats and gloves and boots in order to do so. I am definitely more of a cold weather person than not! So far Utah has not disappointed in that category!

Amy | 12/3/2009 7:07 pm

I grew up in Southern Calif. so I do love the sunny days. I sometimes miss Christmas shopping in shorts and flip-flops. But I do love our rainy spot. Nothing beats the cool, rainy days to snuggle down and watch a movie or read a book. That is why I moved here, it just feels better here :)

Suzanne | 12/4/2009 3:05 am

I actually am one of those that love rain. The reason is I love the idea of been a couch pototoe with my family at home.

tearese | 12/4/2009 1:56 pm

I loved the rain when I first moved there, because it was a new thing to me too. I liked it for about three years, even waiting at bus stops. But the last three years, I wasn’t so happy with it. Maybe because I never had a car, so if I wanted to go somewhere I had to walk, and I don’t like to get wet! It also isn’t fun for my curly hair.

charlotte | 12/5/2009 8:12 am

I love the sunshine too:) My favorite are the crisp, cool fall days with the cobalt blue skies you find only at the tops of mountains! It’s cliche but gloomy days bring me down. A few here and there are fine – and even kinda fun – but too many in a row and I’m seriously bummed out.

Vicki | 12/6/2009 8:54 am

Glad you have adjusted so nicely to rain, I’m sure that helps. You might have inherited your love of rain from your father, he can never get enough!