Our last day alone

June 6th, 2009

These pictures were taken on my last day alone with the Bubbers King.

I can’t remember when it hit me that day, but it did.

I stopped and looked at my son and thought, “This is my last day alone with him. After today, my Mom and husband will be here. And then we’ll go to the hospital. And when we come back, the Bubbers King and I won’t be alone anymore.”

After that realization, I tried to make the most of it.

I still had work to do in preparation for the baby and my Mom’s visit, but I tried to work in a lot of Bubbers time, too.

So every time he asked, “Mommy, play with you??”

I looked at him, smiled, stopped what I was doing and said, “Yes! I’ll play with you.”

And I heaved my gargantuan belly to the floor to play trains. Or a round of Don’t Break the Ice.

And when he asked, “Mommy, read to you?”

I looked at him, smiled, stopped what I was doing and said, “Yes! I would love to read to you.”

And we cuddled on the couch as I read him Arthur stories.

And at one point during the day, I gave him a hug and said, “Bubbers? Today is our last day alone together.”

He looked at me and I could tell he didn’t really understand.

But I continued to look him in the eyes and said, “Bubbers? Thank you for the past two years.”

“I have loved our time together and I’m so grateful for it.”

Again, he listened, but didn’t really understand.

And that night when we said his bedtime prayer, I thanked Heavenly Father for two wonderful years with my son. And for a sweet last day alone with him.

And after he went to sleep, I had myself a good cry.

Or two.

Or three.

And I thanked Heavenly Father again for giving me my precious little buddy. And for giving us two priceless years together.

And Heavenly Father understood.

Suzanne | 6/6/2009 11:53 pm

Heidi, wishing you and your whole family the best. Your emotions are understandable and you will get to spend some time with bubbers alone, I still try to spend time with each one alone.
It is an overwhelming feeling and also a warm fuzzy feeling all at the same time.
It probably is similar to just before bubbers was born and you and charming were trying to squeeze in all you together time before bubbers arrived.
Take care, dont be too hard on yourself and I cant wait for an update here.
Sending you love and prayers.

Andrea | 6/7/2009 7:45 am

Heidi,
I wish you the best in the year to come. I know that the time you have with just bubbers has come to a close but it will be great for you to have a pal for him to play with. I love seeing Isabelle and Keoki play together. She calls him her “best friend yoki”
Please let us know if you need anything…like dinner or something.
Take care, and I can’t wait to see pictures of your new addition!

charlotte | 6/7/2009 6:58 pm

Aw! I remember when i was pregnant with Jonas, feeling like Sam would always be my baby and wondering if Jonas would feel like an intruder. But that all changed – in a heartbeat – when Jonas was born and I knew he was meant to be in our family. Don’t forget that while Bubbers will never have all of you to himself again, you are giving him a gift that will outlast even you: a brother:)

Heidi F | 6/7/2009 7:19 pm

It’s almost sad to to know that those days are number, but remember the new baby will take naps, and in those times you will have plenty of one on one with the bubbers… Good luck on your newest delivery. Hope all goes well for you. I will pray that it will go smoothly..

Melissa | 6/7/2009 9:12 pm

What a sweet post! Even made me a little teary. You always do such a good job reminding me how precious time is with our little ones! To echo others’ comments, there’s nothing like welcoming a new member into the family! And before you know it, it’ll seem like he’s always been there, and you won’t be able to imagine life without him!

P.S. What a treat it was to get to see you today! I’ll be thinking of you all morning tomorrow!

Neighbor Katie ~;o) | 6/7/2009 9:24 pm

Ahh, this was such a sweet post and so honest, it was like I was back 3 years ago feeling it all over again with mine! But as an earlier post said, the new babes do take lots of naps so there will be plenty of alone time, so don’t fret! You are an amazing mom and your little Bubbers will still feel the same amount of love and attention from you. He will just learn to share a bit of that attention, which isn’t at all a bad thing! In fact, he will be excited to be a part of his new little brother’s life and getting to fill his new role as big brother! What an exciting time for you all! We wish you guys all the best that the Lord has for you and we are lifting you guys up in prayer for a wonderful birth of your new heaven sent little blessing! Much love to you and please let me know if you need anything, ok? We are just a few paces away! ~;o)

Alycia | 6/8/2009 3:43 am

You always make me cry. That is the exact feeling I’ve been having lately… Good luck today, I’m so excited for you! I hope everything goes well and you’ll be able to meet your new little guy soon! We can’t wait to meet him too. :)

Starwoodgal | 6/8/2009 5:39 am

I’m praying for you and the family.

tearese | 6/8/2009 10:11 am

I remember feeling bad and worrying that I wouldn’t have time for Elora after Joshua came. And while I still loved her, I have to admit that after the baby came I was more protective of him and worried about her hurting him. But it passed! Good luck!

Courtney (Stevenson) Clements | 6/9/2009 8:39 am

Can’t wait to see pictures of the little bugger Heidi! I just love your blog and keeping up with your lives! Good luck in this fun new chapter of your lives!!

tearese | 6/10/2009 4:20 pm

ug, I keep checking back for the new baby, but as I don’t know your date, I never know if its happened yet! I’m so impatient.

Natalie | 6/12/2009 7:41 pm

Oh man… I really shouldn’t read these posts. I get all teary eyed and think about how in two months I’ll never get Sydney to myself again. That’s a sad thought.