His First Joke!

May 6th, 2009

A few months ago, I decided to consolidate all the children’s books in the house to Bubbers’ bookshelf downstairs.

And as I was reorganizing, I came across a small collection of random books that I’ve kept from my childhood, that I added to his shelf.

This is a sweet book that I enjoyed looking at when I was a kid.

I’d never actually read it until a few weeks ago and it made me cry. It’s very sweet.

Charming wishes this was not added to his son’s bookshelf and I can understand that.

To be honest, I never remember reading it when I was a kid, but somehow I ended up with it, so I’ve held onto it.

(It brings back fond memories of my little plastic Strawberry Shortcake that smelled like strawberries).

And this one I remember buying at one of those elementary school fairs and thinking it was pretty cool.

I hesitated in adding it to Bubbers’ bookshelf because I didn’t think a one-year-old kid would have any interest in jokes.

But it was small and didn’t take up much room, so I went ahead and added it, figuring it wouldn’t get read for a few years.

Boy was I wrong!

The first time Bubbers saw it, he called it the “Elephant Book” and asked me to read it to him.

I did, but I still didn’t think it would keep his attention.

Boy was I wrong again!

He had me read it to him every day and it wasn’t long before he started chuckling after his favorite jokes.

And then!

It wasn’t long before he started telling his favorite jokes!

PICT0010 with circle

Specifically, the “squirrel joke”.

He started telling this joke and then burst out laughing afterward.

It was absolutely adorable, so we had to break out the video camera:

Our favorite things about this video:

• His awesome smile and sparkling eyes
  • His contagious laugh
  • How excited he is in “Take One” and how he spontaneously launches into performing “The Wise Man Built His House Upon a Rock” and “Book of Mormon Stories” (though it makes my heart ache to watch him look at me for help when I don’t really know what he wants help with and I feel bad)
  • His funny arm thing in “Take Two” and how he patiently repeats, “Mommy, right there?” over and over until I directly respond
  • His little hand motions for the songs– especially his little fist and open palm for “rock”
  • How he makes us laugh every time we watch it

March 2009, 22 months old

Melissa and Dorian Ducker | 5/7/2009 6:24 am

He is so dang cute! I just want to squeeze him! you have the most precious little guy. I can’t wait to see the next one. Thank you so much for sharing!

Heidi | 5/7/2009 8:16 am

Aw, thank you, Melissa! That is exactly how we feel! :)

Melissa | 5/7/2009 9:00 am

What a cutie pie!! I loved watching that – how funny that he likes to tell jokes already! Charming must be proud. ;)

And I love how he took so much care in forming the “house” w/ his little hands in that last take of the Wise Man/Foolish Man song. :)

Heidi | 5/7/2009 12:26 pm

LOL! Yes, Charming is very proud. :):)

And yes!! I love that last “house”, too! His little voice gets so soft and he looks down at his little hands– too cute! :)

tearese | 5/7/2009 9:57 am

Joshua thought this video was funny, even though I don’t think I understood what was being said. Very cute.

charlotte | 5/7/2009 10:47 am

The littlest angel is one of my favorite children’s books ever!! My grammy used to read it to me and it is still one of my most treasured memories of her.

Congrats on Bubbers’ newly discovered sense of humor. With parents as funny as you two, we all knew he had it in him!

Wandering Nana-Linda | 5/7/2009 3:19 pm

Every Christmas eve we would read a story to our girls. “The Littlest Angel” was the first one I bought. I look for a special story every year so I have quite a selection… but our favorite story is the first one. After I would read our newest story the girls would want the “Angel” story so we would do that one too. For one of their bridal shower gifts I would give them this book and now the tradition continues. I still cry when I read it.

Emily Shaw | 5/7/2009 4:02 pm

i think my favorite part is YOUR laugh!! it’s positively congatious!! and he’s adorable too!! i love the point to his head for ‘wise’ and his perfect peak with little chubby fingers for ‘house’!! too cute!

Vicki | 5/8/2009 9:45 pm

Bubbers is quite the performer! Most kids when asked to perform will be bashful or noncompliant.

Neighbor Katie ~;o) | 5/11/2009 10:46 am

Oh my goodness, that was sooo adorable! Children are such precious gems sent from God to enrich our lives in so many ways! Especially to keep us in stitches laughing so hard! Just wait until you have a little duo entertaining you, way too funny! ~;o)