Sweet Prayers

February 2nd, 2009

A few months ago, I started asking Bubbers if he wanted to say the prayer during mealtimes or bedtime.

And every time, he eagerly complies.

Studiously, he folds his hands and stares at my face as I prompt him on what to say.

His little voice and upturned face are so precious, I often have a hard time concentrating and have to restrain myself from peeking at him the entire time!

And I especially love it when he adds unexpected flavor to his prayers…..

This is a recording of him from last month.

He was saying the blessing over our lunch.

And at this time, he greatly enjoyed dramatic endings….. :)

—-

This is a recording of him from yesterday.

He said the opening prayer for Family Home Evening.

And currently, he is very good at anticipating what comes next….. :)

—–

p.s. He’s also gotten good at letting us know if our prayers are getting too long by inserting a resounding “Amen!” while we’re still going….. :)

p.p.s. And if we don’t take the hint, he faithfully follows it up with another enthusiastic and finalizing, “Amen!!”

p.p.p.s. And by this time I’m laughing so hard I can’t listen or pray, so the prayer is finally ended.

Vicki | 2/2/2009 9:23 pm

Somehow I was unable to hear Bubbers pray.
However I could visualize him calling the prayers to a halt with his deep “amens” and had to chuckle hard. That is so cute.

charlotte | 2/3/2009 5:22 am

Very cute! I love hearing little voices chime in like that! Micah, for some reason, feels compelled to mimic whomever is praying. He copies our mannerisms and tone of voice although he just says gibberish for the words. It’s particularly hilarious when he is imitating one of the other boys! So glad you got this recorded!

Melissa | 2/3/2009 9:47 am

I loved hearing his prayers – so precious! :) He’s so good at repeating every word. Toddler prayers are the best! I remember when Matt got to be around 2 1/2 or 3 he loved dramatic endings too – like it was a race to the end of the prayer, something to be celebrated. I just love how enthusiastic little kids get about praying. :) Didn’t Charlotte once tell us that Sam used to randomly mention you, along with his family members in his prayers when he was little? ;)

Andrea | 2/3/2009 12:33 pm

Your blog just showed up on my google reader as a “top recommendation” so I checked it out–and recognized your “charming”!! My husband and I were friends of his in college and just recently re-found one another through facebook/blogs which is probably why you showed up as a recommendation. Anyways, enough rambling–you have a great blog, lovely family and I love your photos!!!

Suzanne | 2/4/2009 4:43 am

Yes it worked this time, he really has a cute little voice saying his prayers. This is such a wonderful memory that will pass way too quickly.

tearese | 2/5/2009 5:07 pm

Aw, that was very cute! Josh still just sits quietly clasping his hands, and says AMEN! Elora used to be good at prayers, now she likes to mess around and pretend she doesn’t know how to do it. Its very annoying.

Kedra Simpson | 2/6/2009 3:40 pm

that is the sweetest little prayer ever!!! I can’t believe how well he is talking, so cute!!!