Book recommendations?

January 14th, 2009

A little while ago, I mentioned my need to start reading foofy, romantic books again (and what happens when you go to the library without having a specific title in mind–very dangerous!!).

And since then, I’ve been happily reading some good, clean books.

But now I’ve found that my supply is dwindling…..

I’m on the last book in the Anne of Green Gables series with nothing in the queue.

So, it’s time to start requesting more books at the library!

But before I start blindly putting books on hold, I wanted to see if any of you have read any great, clean, romantic books that you would recommend?

If possible, I’d prefer books that do not end like this one did:

It looks quite innocent, doesn’t it?

A pretty lady in an old-fashioned dress with sunflowers in the foreground.

I’d read a novel by this Christian author before, and it was very lovely.

So, I had high hopes for this novel entitled Mara.

And the last thing I expected about halfway through this book, was for it to suddenly turn into a flaming, hateful, anti-Mormon novel!!!

Holy smokes!!! I thought to myself as I kept reading, convinced that this author (described by her niece to be the most wonderful Christian woman ever), really hadn’t written that God needed to blast my beloved religion from the face of the earth.

And then portrayed Mormon men as deceitful, controlling villains.

And Mormon women as helpless, miserable hypocrites.

All under the guise of a light fiction novel.

*Sigh*

I had never read an anti-Mormon book before, so this was very new to me.

And at first, I didn’t know how to feel…..

Shocked.

Appalled.

Frustrated.

But then I finally settled into something that felt right:

Sorrow.

Sorrow for this woman who completely misunderstood a beautiful religion and people.

Sorrow that she was so full of misplaced hate and anger.

Sorrow that her feelings were likely the result of her Christian theological schooling.

Sorrow that this woman who was a leader in her time, likely misled many souls who trusted her.

And sorrow that she likely died without understanding the truth about the Mormons.

If you have any questions about the Mormons, please don’t hesitate to ask them.

Ask me.

Ask a friend who’s Mormon.

Ask a Mormon missionary.

Or ask Heavenly Father.

But just please ask.

—–

(And if you know of a good, clean, romantic, non-anti-Mormon book, please don’t hesitate to tell me!!) :)

Heather Smith | 1/14/2009 8:58 pm

have you read Goose Girl, Enna Burning and River Secrets by Shannon Hale. Those are clean quick and fun reads.

p.s. our holiday card to you guys was returned. I must have had your old address. Can you email me your new address so we can have it? Thanks. :)

Sara Hammond | 1/14/2009 11:47 pm

You and I definitely share this love. I notice that you have already received the suggestion of “Redeeming Love.” Let me just second this – after I read it (all in one sitting, borrowed from a coworker), I bought three copies, one each for me, my sister, and my mom.

I also love Anita Stansfield. Her books are wonderful LDS romances, and most are set in modern day. I don’t know if you can find her at the library, but you are welcome to borrow from me.

Btw, are we going to crochet in the next couple months?

Neighbor Katie ~;o) | 1/15/2009 9:13 pm

Yes, definitely read, “Redeeming Love” by Francine Rivers and any other of her books you can get your hands on. I promise, you will love them! They are wonderful! She has an amazing, God-given gift of writing, (kind of like someone else I know….~;o)

Shawna | 1/15/2009 6:46 am

I’d recommend the “Love Comes Softly” series by Janette Oke. Honestly, I haven’t read the books, but I have watched and enjoyed all of the movies (based on the books). I would also recommend the movies. Most were directed by Michael Landon Jr.

Melissa and Dorian Ducker | 1/15/2009 8:28 am

i was also going to suggest Goose Girl, Enna Burning, and River Secrets! They were so good, and I would suggest them to ANYBODY!!!!!! Go get those next. She also wrote Princess Academy that stands all alone it was good. I read that one first. She also wrote A book of a Thousand Days that my sister just LOVED. I haven’t read it yet. Good luck and happy book hunting.

tearese | 1/15/2009 8:39 am

Don’t books like that upset you? I’ve come across things/ people like that before, and it just seems so strange that this huge part of their ‘Christian’ upbringing is to hate Mormons. And you’re right, so many people take their fiction as fact.
I remember learning in a film class about one of the early movies being about Mormon men stealing wives from other settlers….
and didn’t Louise L’Amore write “Riders of The Purple Sage” which is totally anti? I could be mistaken.

Wandering Nana-Linda | 1/15/2009 9:40 am

I really like Anita Stansfield too. The one thing you know is that Isabelle knows the truth about us now. “}

charlotte | 1/15/2009 10:18 am

Ack! What a horrible shock that must have been! I hate it when I’m blindsided by vitriol like that. Anyhow… recommendations: (You’ve probably read all these ’cause they’re old)

– Girl of the Limberlost
– My Antonia
– Song of the Lark
– Camilla Kimball’s Biography (Pres. Kimball’s wife)

PS> I’ve heard Enna Burning is great. I’ve not read it but my little sister adores it.

Amy Candland | 1/15/2009 8:42 pm

I found your blog again! I just finished the origianl “Dracula” for fun and it was a good book! A little romance in there but nothing “R” rated (except the biting/blood part- non romantic of course) so if you’re in the mood for a scary type, we just returned it to the library tonight :)

Anna Marie | 1/16/2009 4:03 am

One of my favorite books ever is Mrs Mike by Nancy Freedman. It is a true story about a girl from Bostom that meets a Canadian mounty. It takes place in the early 1900’s. Love it. I don’t think the writer is the most talented ever, but the story is amazing.

\

Vicki | 1/16/2009 9:15 pm

Sorry you had to have such a negative experience reading that book. Unfortunately, many sincere Christians have been told that Mormons are all going to that fiery place under the ground and have believed it.
Hopefully your next books will be more uplifting.
As you know I only read non-fiction, so I can’t be of much help in the books of fiction department.

Suzanne | 1/17/2009 12:55 am

Sorry to see that you had to read such negative remarks about Mormons, I hope you find some of the other books recommended to you to read.

Christine | 1/17/2009 8:07 am

Hi, I’ve followed your blog for quite a while now. My daughter (9) and I love your posts about Bubbers. They totally remind us of my 2 year old son. So cute!

Anyway, I have a suggestion for a book. My cousin Heidi Ashworth (LDS) wrote “Miss Delacourt Speaks her Mind”. It was published last year by Avalon. Avalon publishes books mainly for purchase by libraries but also sells them on the internet. Most libraries will buy it if it is requested. It has had a lot of great reviews and is a “clean” romance. You can find out more about it on her blog Dunhaven Place (heidiashworth.blogspot.com) to see if you are interested.

Heidi | 1/18/2009 8:36 pm

Welcome, Christine! It’s great to hear from you and I’m so glad you enjoy hearing about my son. :) How fun that he reminds you of yours!

I will definitely request that book at our library. Thank you so much! (And how fun that it’s your cousin!)

Heidi | 1/18/2009 8:30 pm

Wow, you gals are awesome!! Thank you so much for these recommendations—I will try to read them all and maybe over again for those I’ve read already. :) I’m so excited!