A Special Gift

October 20th, 2008

My Dear Son,

A few weeks ago, I began thinking about how you’d be turning 18 months old before I knew it.

And sure enough, it happened!

And now when people ask, “How old is your son?” I have to answer, “18 months old.”

How do I tell you what a special little boy you are to me?

There are no words to describe how much you light up my life.

But somehow I have to try.

To forever record the Little Man you are at this moment.

The Little Man I wish I could always hold onto.

But know I cannot.

So all I can do is attempt to describe you to yourself at this moment in time…..

My son, you’ve been given an extraordinary gift.

A gift that shines through every aspect of your little life.

From how you swing your arms when you speed walk.

To the sparkle in your eyes when you smile.

And now that you are talking, this gift pours from you in your sweet exclamations of joy and wonder.

You touch a special place in people’s hearts.

A place they didn’t know existed until they met you.

A place that swells and bursts with joy and laughter in your company.

But is empty and lonely when you’re gone.

A place that can’t get enough of you.

And the adorable way you do everything.

Truly, this gift is indescribable.

But I’m so glad you have it.

And I’ll spend the rest of my life enjoying it.

And trying to capture it.

PICT0067 color black
17 months old

PICT0310 edited darker
18 months old

alycia | 10/20/2008 10:16 pm

He looks like such a little man! I love where you took the pictures. They’re adorable.

Neighbor Katie ~;o) | 10/21/2008 2:56 pm

What a handsome young man! Way too cute! I can’t believe how fast the time flies by, where does it go? My first baby is about to turn 6 years old, it seems like just yesterday that I was pondering her turning 18 months as well! Ahhh, it is such a blessing to be home to savor every moment of motherhood! Even when they are 2 1/2 like my son, and dumping nuts and water all over the kitchen floor and stomping in them….yes, even then! ~;o)

Heidi F | 10/23/2008 7:21 am

Isn’t it a great feeling to watch and see our little ones grow. Almost sad because it goes so fast. Just wait till you have more then it gets harder to remember these things. LOL! He is so cute. I keep a journal and when it gets hard I will open it and read something about my children which really softens my heart.

Melissa | 10/23/2008 2:13 pm

I just loved that, Heidi. So sweet and beautiful. And I love those pictures! He looks adorable in that miniature tie!! ;)

And thank you for sharing your journey into Motherhood with us. I always knew you would be a fantastic mother and I’ve really enjoyed reading about your experiences & watching Bubbers grow. You’ve taught me so much. Thank you. :)

Melissa | 10/23/2008 2:17 pm

P.S. Welcome to Nursery, Bubbers!! (As a Nursery teacher I just couldn’t resist saying that! I only wish he was in my class – his teachers will be very lucky!) ;)

Darcy D | 10/25/2008 5:15 pm

So Sweet. I love how they swing their arms when they speedwalk too. ;)