Inner Depth

September 24th, 2008

PICT0019 dramatic

Have you ever looked at a child and wondered who they really are inside?

In this picture, my son’s physical body is only 16 months old.

But how old is his spirit?

When he was first born, I thought about that a lot.

What kind of a man were you in the pre-mortal life?

Is it hard trying to use this little body that can’t do anything?

Now that he’s older, his phenomenal personality is shining through more and more.

And I feel like I’m getting little glimpses into his real character.

Glimpses into the priceless spirit inside this adorable body.

And you know what?

It’s absolutely addicting.

charlotte | 9/25/2008 5:39 am

Wow, this is one of my fave pics of bubbers! Such a thoughtful expression. Beautiful sentiment as well.

JS | 9/25/2008 5:42 am

I guess I never thought about thinks like that much. Maybe I should start! The picture is wonderful!

Michelle | 9/25/2008 6:42 am

I often wish I was a kid again with the mind I have now, so I could know all the things I could accomplish. But then I realize it wouldn’t be nearly as fun as being blissfully ignorant.

Heidi | 9/25/2008 8:59 pm

That is an interesting idea. I wonder what that would be like? (And welcome to my blog!)

Wandering Nana-Linda | 9/25/2008 9:30 am

I would always look at my brand new babies and ask them about the place they just left. I love to watch the grands now as so many times they remind me of their mothers when they were small. One of my neighbors would always talk about one of my daughters and say she was like a little old lady in a child’s body. It is so funny that she now has a daughter who is the same way. So… do you remember what you thought about as a child?

Liz | 9/25/2008 10:33 am

He is a beautiful boy!

Heidi | 9/25/2008 8:58 pm

Thank you, Liz, and welcome to my blog!

Stacey | 9/25/2008 3:46 pm

I agree. This picture is one of my favorites of bubbers! And their personalities really do come through, don’t they?

Melissa | 9/26/2008 9:18 am

What a beautiful picture, Heidi. And wonderful post, too. I absolutely agree with you – I always find myself wondering the same things about my children, and wondering what I knew about them in the premortal life, and now have forgotten… And actually, thinking about who my children *really* are – their “spiritual identity” – helps me to keep a more eternal perspective and not get so easily frustrated with them. I am definitely not very good at this all the time, though. Thank you for the reminder to think more about my children’s “inner depth”. :)

Heidi | 9/26/2008 1:11 pm

I hope you don’t mind me reading your blog. I came across it while reading Angela’s! Sami was excited to see you on sunday but bummed that she didn’t get a chance to say hello! I love your post from your family hike! It was very entertaining! Bubbers is so photogenic!

Heidi | 9/26/2008 9:53 pm

Hey Heidi! I’m thrilled you read my blog–thank you! I’m bummed that I didn’t get to talk to Sami, too. Please tell her hello and give her a hug for me. I still miss her and those other wonderful primary children!

Thank you for compliments! I’m so glad you found it entertaining and that you think Bubbers is photogenic. :)