The Little Things

September 18th, 2008

There are so many things I want to remember about this sacred time when my son is young.

I want to remember how his little body feels when I hug him tight.

What his sweet high-pitched voice sounds like when he talks.

How infectious his giggles are when I tickle him.

I also want to remember the funny little things he does as part of our every day life.

Like when a stranger smiles at him and he suddenly gets shy and reaches for my hand.

Or how he walks around the house with his toy hammer and randomly bangs on things.

And how every time he’s sitting in his booster seat and eating a meal, he reaches out his right foot…..

….. And puts it on my left leg.

It stays there throughout the whole meal as he chomps away and pushes against my leg.

It’s so consistent that I often tune it out and forget he’s even doing it.

But then I remember that I don’t want to forget.

That he won’t always be there to eat with me.

And his toes won’t always be so tiny and cute.

And then I stop what I’m doing and look down at my little boy.

I reach down and squeeze his foot.

And I try to freeze the moment in time.

So I can go back and remember.

Just him and I.

And his little foot reaching out for me.

Wandering Nana-Linda | 9/18/2008 9:18 pm

You will always remember those little things. They will come to you in unexpected moments and they will bring a smile to your face. And then one day you will see a little one of his doing the same thing to him and you’ll smile, because it will bring back a memory of when he was small. What a beautiful cycle this life is.

Heidi | 9/18/2008 9:43 pm

Thank you, Linda. It means a great deal to me to know that.

Suzanne | 9/19/2008 1:56 am

Its so nice that you want to remember and freeze time for a while. Children are so much fun at all ages but little ones are the cutest, they are not as aware of outside influences and they have all the love to give freely and innocently. I wish I could freeze time all the time with my kids, unfortunately I cant so I try to stay in the moment, this works beautifully for me.

alycia | 9/19/2008 7:47 am

Somehow you always put into words what I’m thinking. :)

charlotte | 9/19/2008 1:18 pm

What a sweet story:) I’m so glad you are writing these down!

Kedra Simpson | 9/19/2008 2:29 pm

I have felt much like this lately and especially since soon she will no longer be my one and only. She is too big and I am worried to share my time. Thanks for sharing this cute moment with us.

Melissa | 9/19/2008 4:59 pm

Heidi, I loved this post! And the sweet pictures too! I agree w/ Alycia – you do put in to words so well what I have felt so often w/ my own kids. Whenever I share those sweet moments with my kids I wish I could stop time just for a little while… I love what the first comment said too, about these random sweet memories coming unexpectedly or seeing other kids do the same things. It’s so true! Good for you for writing these down. They will be more precious than gold to you in the future. :)

Heidi | 9/19/2008 7:41 pm

What a great thing to remember, the small touches or the gentle tug of the hand or clothing. I would miss those things I am sure. I think it is the small things that can keep us grounded when they grow up and the bad things start to come up. I hope I will be able to remember those delicate memories of my chidlren when they wreck the car or get caught doing something they are not suppose to do. I pray those memories will flash back at me and help me to be a better parent for them, because right here in this moment they are sleeping so peacefully or giving me that melting smile or just hugs me and says I love you mommy. Thanks for helping me think about all my little memories. Motherhood is great isn’t it. I wouldn’t change it for the world. Thanks for sharing Heidi You are welcome to come to my sight and see my family and my blessings. http://thefisherclan.blogspot.com/

Stacey | 9/21/2008 10:34 am

I love those pictures. Little feet are so cute. I’m not sure what happens to make them so ugly to me as they get bigger! I can’t imagine kissing my son’s feet when he’s 16, so I better enjoy it now!

Darcy | 9/23/2008 12:17 pm

AH how sweet! It is really important to remember these sweet times. This is why I LOVE LOVE little ones. They are my most favorite age group.

whimsy | 9/25/2008 8:41 am

Oh this is so very sweet!!!! Such great pictures of his little toes – and I agree with Stacey, I can’t imagine kissing Alice’s toes when she’s 16, so I better enjoy it now!

It was great seeing you the other day.

angelalois | 9/25/2008 8:52 pm

Agreed agreed, I love this. There are so many little tiny things my sweet son does, and I don’t want to forget any of them. They just melt our hearts, don’t they? Wesley’s started doing this funny thing where he opens and closes his hand every so rhythmically on our arms and it seems like he’s petting us… oh it’s adorable. *sigh*

Andra | 9/26/2008 11:40 pm

You are inspiring, Heidi. It was fun to check out your blog. You do a great job!