The Healing Power of Nature

September 16th, 2008

PICT0026 black

A while back, I asked Charming if we could go on a family hike together.

Despite our beautiful summer weather, we hadn’t done any hikes, yet, and I was really feeling the need to get away from the world for a while.

It was only two weeks after our miscarriage, our second house still hadn’t sold, and I was feeling heavy and stifled by one of the most difficult summers of my life.

Fortunately, Charming thought it was a great idea and when the appointed Saturday came, we packed our lunches and loaded up the car to find a nearby hike Charming read about online.

But when we got there, we drove right past the trail head marker without even seeing it.

And five miles later, we pulled over at a ranger station to get directions.

“Oh, you can’t miss it,” the ranger said, “There’s a big sign on the east side of the road.”

So we turned around and went back.

And he was right.

There was a big sign on the east side of the road.

Except.

That big sign read, “Gobbledeegookersnuck.”

And suddenly, we didn’t feel so bad for driving right by it before.

Then we unloaded the car and it was time for our little family to embark…..

….. Into a breathtakingly luscious forest.

Where my soul sang its love for ferns.

And peaceful trails.

Glistening leaves.

And moss covered trees.

Spooky tunnels.

And my awesome boys.

*Sigh*

It was exactly the break we needed.

charlotte | 9/16/2008 9:59 pm

Wow, I miss that area’s scenery! What a beautiful hike! I’m glad that you found the peace you were looking for:)

Suzanne | 9/16/2008 10:18 pm

What a lovely place for a hike. The scenery is amazing. Mother Nature is the best place to restore the soul.

Jesse | 9/17/2008 8:47 am

Love the picture of the maple leaves. Looks like a very restorative outing!

Wandering Nana-Linda | 9/17/2008 10:20 am

I love Ferns. I planted them long the backside of my house in Utah and was excited that they lived and came back every spring. Imagine how much I loved it here where they grow wild! So the question is? Am I crazy to want to plant them on a side of the house where I know they will grow? Are they concerned a nuisance here?

Cara | 9/17/2008 2:45 pm

I didn’t know you had a miscarriage. I am so sorry for your loss. I’ve had one and so have several others in our playgroup. If you ever need to talk about it there are plenty of us to empathize with you. Have you sold your house yet? BTW, you are an amazing photographer.

tearese | 9/17/2008 6:04 pm

What a beautiful hike! I too miss the scenery there, you are lucky to be surrounded by it.

Darcy D | 9/18/2008 1:29 pm

Looks very theraputic. And oh so beautiful. Definitely different than the forest around here!