I couldn’t help myself…

August 27th, 2008

When I went online just now and saw that y’all were able to answer my last question so easily, I suddenly became madly hopeful that you could help me out again.

And since the Bubbers king was still napping, I grabbed my camera, ran out into the rain and stopped in front of my neighbor’s house.

Who happens to have a beautifully romantic tree growing.

A tree with these dainty bunches of purple flowers all over it.

Flowers that only look prettier when covered in raindrops.

I had thought numerous times of googling “purple flower tree”, but despaired of really finding out what it’s called.

(And, of course, it never occurred to me until now to actually ask my neighbor).

(But really, the dear lady’s already helped me out enough, so I should probably leave her in peace?)

So, dear blog readers…

Can you do it again?

Darcy D | 8/27/2008 4:28 pm

HMMM, I don’t know what it is (I am usually pretty good with trees) but I do know what it is not, perhaps that can help you find it out.
It’s not a flowering “fruit” tree, as they all flower in early spring. I have rarely seen a tree flower in the summer!! Call a local nursery and describe the leaves and flowers to them and they could probably tell you.

Heidi | 8/27/2008 9:37 pm

That’s exactly why I thought it was unusual–I’ve never seen a tree bloom this late either!

JS | 8/27/2008 5:06 pm

Down at McCollum park Washingto State University has an extention offices there with all sorts of resources…I once took some bugs there because we didn’t know what they were and we were finding them everywhere in our apartment. maybe if no one knows you could look there for answers, I think they do more than bugs!

Heidi | 8/27/2008 9:39 pm

Oh, that’s so good to know–thank you JS!

Kim Guymon | 8/27/2008 8:48 pm

Hi Heidi,

It’s a rose of sharon hibiscus. It’s pruned into a tree shape. Mine is more of a shrub. That’s the double flowering kind. They bloom in late summer.

We miss you guys!

Heidi | 8/27/2008 9:38 pm

Holy smokes, Kim–you ROCK! Thank you! (And we miss you, too).

Melissa and Dorian Ducker | 8/27/2008 11:10 pm

This is what my momma-in-law said, but it looks like you already got your answer anyway! :o)

Rose of Sharon and or Althea…it’s called by both names…I have 4 of them in my backyard.

Starwoodgal | 8/28/2008 7:05 am

That is a Rose of Sharon. I have them all around my house. If you find a baby coming up from the root, ask your neighbor if you can pull it up and go plant it. They grow very easy. I did this back in June and I have five new plants.

Heidi | 8/28/2008 8:11 pm

Oooh, that’s a fantastic idea–thank you!

Wandering Nana-Linda | 8/28/2008 8:03 am

I know you have your answer…. I had a row of these at my (not mine anymore) house in Utah. They come in several different colors. I love these quizzes…I have actually known the answers. Keep ’em coming.

Melissa | 8/28/2008 11:40 am

Wow, those are gorgeous! I’d never heard of that kind of plant before…I really love how it’s been pruned into a tree. How fun to have a blooming tree in the summer. Usually those are all gone after spring. Beautiful pictures, too! Hopefully you can get one of your own soon! :)

Kara | 8/28/2008 3:58 pm

I wouldn’t have guessed it. I’ve never seen a double hibiscus-at least that I know of-especially not pruned like that one. It’s so pretty! There was this hibiscus plant in the student building at the college I went to. It was indoors and would bloom in the middle of winter. It was lovely.

Darcy D | 8/28/2008 4:47 pm

Here’s another question for you game.. If I may add one. In which novel did one of the main characters have the first name Rose of Sharon?

Heidi | 8/28/2008 8:12 pm

Holy smokes, I want to say it’s on the tip of my tongue, but it’s just not coming. And I keep thinking of “Sleeping Beauty” and Briar Rose which gets me off track… Does anyone else know???

Darcy D | 8/30/2008 8:46 pm

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Hated that book and will never forget Rose of Sharon.