I have no idea what they are…

August 26th, 2008

But I absolutely love them.

And they’re growing on a bush in my front yard.

Right next to the driveway.

So I see them every time I pull in.

And they make me smile.

And think pleasant thoughts.

Like how much I love the color blue.

And how beautiful this miraculous world is.

Pictures by: Heidi

Suzanne | 8/27/2008 5:00 am

These are beautiful and I love the colours. I would guess they are hydrangeas but I am not really a garden guru so they are probably something very different.

charlotte | 8/27/2008 5:41 am

Hydrangeas. Those exact ones were in my wedding bouquet. They are some of my fave flowers too:) Something I deeply miss about your area!

Starwoodgal | 8/27/2008 6:28 am

They are blue hydrangeas. Very common down here in the south. Those are beautiful. You can dry them and use them in indoor arrangements.

Very pretty!

JS | 8/27/2008 6:45 am

Well, I was going to guess the same thing, but I’m glad that I didn’t guess firs because I would have had no idea how to spell hydrangeas! My mom has some of those in her yard too, but I think some of hers have purple in them!

Suzanne | 8/27/2008 11:05 pm

The only reason I could spell it was because I used spell check. I had it typed lots of different ways.

Kara | 8/27/2008 9:04 am

I love hydrangeas. They don’t like the weather here much. I loved seeing them around when we lived in a wetter climate!

Heidi | 8/27/2008 9:46 am

Wow, you gals are so good. I didn’t realize hydrangeas came in so many different sizes. Charlotte and Melissa told me some of my header photos were hydrangeas, but they were a lot bigger than these little blue ones–so I thought for sure they must be something else. But I’ve never seen a hydrangea bush before (just already cut and for sale in a store), so I really had no idea. Thank you!!!

Wandering Nana-Linda | 8/27/2008 9:52 am

I love hydrangeas. One of the first things I was excited about was that I could plant a Hydrangeas and they would survive here. I’ve already planted one in our yard… one of the first plants I bought. Did you know the soil they are in and the nutrients in the soil determine how deep of blue they are. Someone told me that information. The bushes are all over around us.

Kedra Simpson | 8/27/2008 12:58 pm

Ah, yes Hydrangeas are one of my favorites too! Our neighbor has let her backyard grow over with weeds, to the point where they are starting to come up over and through our fence. But I can see a beautiful hydrangea bush in the mix of all the mess and wish I could replant it in my yard. They are beautiful!

tearese | 8/27/2008 10:58 pm

Thats funny! I did a similar post about the same tree a year or two ago, and my readers also said it was a type of Hydrangea.

Melissa | 8/28/2008 11:34 am

Oooh, hydrangeas are my FAVORITE bush! :) Just as Wandering Nana said, the blooms can be made to change color, depending on the acidity of the soil. So you can add certain things to the soil (tho I’ve heard it’s easier to change from pink to blue rather than the other way around, and easier to do in containers…) Anyway, I find them fascinating… follow this link to learn more:

Enjoy your bush, you lucky girl! :)