Name that play?

August 11th, 2008

I love parks.

And I love Shakespeare.

So when this came to town (for free!!), I was definitely going to see it!

And fortunately, Charming didn’t mind that I dragged him along, too.

So last week we enjoyed a delightful, humorous and talented performance of one of my favorite Shakespeare comedies.

And out of curiosity…..

PICT0026 words

Can any of you guess which one it was?

Using only this picture and its clues, can you name the play, this scene and the characters in it?

(Jesse, this one’s for you, babe!)

And in case the clues are too hard to read, they say:

“Angry man in bed clothes”

“The Fool”

“Jug of ale”

p.s.  The man who played the character on the far right was so funny.  He was fantastic at physical comedy and he was so obviously having a ball up there, it just made me smile to watch him! :)

p.p.s.  And the same goes for the man in bed clothes, The Fool and pretty much every person in the play.  It was awesome!  They had me guffawing the whole entire night!

p.p.s.s. Good luck!! :)

Starwoodgal | 8/12/2008 6:34 am

I am guessing, but is it Twelfth Night?

Jesse | 8/12/2008 10:31 am

Yikes, I’m on the spot now. I wanted it to be Much Ado, as I have distinct memories of verses and verses of that comedy being written out in your hand and committed to your memory. (“There’s a double meaning in that…” and “You are an aaaaa…..” and I won’t even start in with the constable)

But I’m going to agree with Starwoodgal in guessing Twelfth Night. I don’t know exactly which scene this is, but in every version I’ve ever seen performed of this play, Malvolio is made a fool of and ends up on his tookus wearing bright yellow, cross-gartered stockings. You’ll have to paint the picture for us in full once everyone has had their guess.

What a fun outing. Good job getting Charming out there with you too!

Heidi | 8/12/2008 11:53 am

Marry sir!

They have committed false report.

Moreover, they have spoken untruths.

Secondarily, they are slanders.

Six and lastly, they have belied a lady.

Thirdly, they have verified unjust things.

And… to… conclude, they are lying knaves.

Jesse | 8/12/2008 2:22 pm

He he he

If I were as tedious as a king
I would find it in my heart
To bestow it all upon your worship

Heidi | 8/12/2008 2:47 pm

All… thy… tediousness… on me?

But, masters, remember that I am an a__

Though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an a__.

Holy SMOKES, I love that play!

tearese | 8/12/2008 3:59 pm

If its Twelfth Night, I’ve seen it at least three times and still didn’t recognise it. I went to Shakespear in the Park with Joseph before we got married. It was lots of fun!