The piano

March 26th, 2008

Hello everyone!

Thank you for your well-wishes with our move this last Saturday. Everything went very well, thanks to the help and hard work of Charming, three dear friends and two dear movers. (Oh yes, and dear Bubbers, too).

Moves are usually quite stressful for me as I agonize over things breaking or shattering or scratching or crushing or tearing. But this time I did pretty well and I only went into cardiac arrest once when the guys were moving our 22 ton piano onto our new hardwood floor.

While experiencing this medical emergency, I openly expressed my anxiety to the four men moving it and one of them asked me, “Are you worried about the piano, our backs, or the hardwood floor?”

I looked at him and answered frankly, “The piano.”

Then I laughed, “Okay, I’m worried about all three, but mainly the piano.”

You see, we rescued the poor soul off of Craigslist about three years ago.

And she looked like this:

HPIM0654

And she was very sad.

She cried and cried and said, “It’s not easy being purple.”

I lovingly patted her keys and said in a soothing voice, “It’s okay. I’m here to save you.”

Then I realized I didn’t know the first thing about restoring a piano, so I went to the library and checked out a book.

After reading the book, I went to our dear piano and made her look like this:

HPIM0644

Then I stripped and scrubbed and stained and lacquered and repaired and reassembled.

It was hard and I wondered if we’d both make it, but after two months of work she was finally done.

And when I showed her a mirror, she cried big ivory tears and wrapped her new bridle straps around me.

She hugged me tight and whispered, “Thank you, Heidi.”

From then on, she and I have shared a special bond.

And that bond is why I breathe a deep sigh of relief every time I walk into my new living room and see her:

PICT0005 (2)

My dear 22 ton piano, safe and sound on her new caster cups.

Thank you, Charming et al.–you did a wonderful job!

Kara | 3/26/2008 1:45 pm

Did the previous owner happen to tell you why it was painted purple? I find that a bit odd. Although, my grandmother had an olive green piano. Anyway, I’m amazed you are daring enough to restore it yourself. I would never dream of attempting something like that! And if I did, it would probably never get finished! I think you did a wonderful job though! It looks like a lovely piano!

Heidi | 3/26/2008 2:03 pm

Yeah, she said it was too dark for her liking, so she painted it purple. But it was a blessing for us–because the reason she was giving it away was because she never finished the paint job and it made her feel bad to see it.

We were surprised at what a big job it turned out to be–but fortunately it turned out well. And I was very motivated to get it finished before we tried to get pregnant–so I knew I had to buckle down and get it done. :)

I’m so glad you like it–thank you! :)

Wandering Nana-Linda | 3/26/2008 2:06 pm

Oh, that poor piano. What was the lady thinking!? You did a great job. I’ve done a few pieces many years ago and I remember how hard it was and they weren’t big pieces either.

Heidi | 3/26/2008 2:48 pm

Amazing job on the piano. It is MUCH more pretty than before and I usually like the color purple! :)

Apple | 3/26/2008 3:02 pm

Thank you for saving that ugly purple piano…it looks so much better now. Great job!!!
Does bubbers like to pound on the keys? I bet that’s fun to listen to!! :)

Heidi | 3/26/2008 7:15 pm

Aw, thanks everyone! :)
—–
Apple: LOL! Thank you. Yes–Bubbers REALLY likes to pound on the keys and bounce to the music–it’s so cute. :) Also, thanks so much for answering my question on your blog. You’ve done a lot with your wrecked journal for only starting it in January–wow! And what a unique idea. :)

Tearese | 3/26/2008 8:52 pm

My family had a bright yellow piano of the same style, it was also that way when they bought it, but they didn’t do anything about it until a few years ago after iwas long gone. Andit was too big a job to strip it (I guess) so they just painted it a more respectable brown. Sad, really, because I think the wood underneath might be cherry or something like that.

Jesse | 3/27/2008 3:55 am

Glad the piano has made it safely to it’s new home. That really is an amazing transformation.

alycia | 4/3/2008 8:11 am

Was Gabe the one that asked the question about which thing you were worried about? I’m sure he was worried about his back if he was helping. I remember hearing about your purple piano before, it was fun to see the before and after photos. You really did make it look beautiful!