Tip for the day: Food Storage

March 5th, 2008

Dear Heidi,

I understand how much you love food storage, because I do, too. But there’s times when you have to set limits and ask yourself, “Do I really need to buy this?” Just because it’s on the cannery order sheet doesn’t mean you have to buy it.

PICT0098

Even when it’s on sale at Albertson’s, you still need to ask yourself, “Have I ever once used this in all my years of cooking?” And if the answer is, “No, not even once,” it’s time to move on and choose something else.

PICT0091 2 cans

But I understand that’s often difficult for you. In which case, it might be okay to buy a couple cans in the off chance you may one day start using it.

PICT0091 4 cans

And if you happen to convince yourself that to really be safe, you should get four cans, I might look the other way and try to be understanding.

PICT0091 20 cans

But twenty cans?!

Twenty!?

And it’s been over three years and you’ve never opened one?

Honestly, Heidi….. It’s time.

It’s time to set them free.

Jesse | 3/5/2008 12:57 pm

Please tell us that this is somekind of hypothetical line of thinking and that you don’t actually have 20 cans of shortening.

In the likely chance that you do have 20 cans of shortening sitting at your house (because, c’mon, I know you) let me suggest some alternate uses for the stuff:
-grease little Bubbers up thus making it easier to get clothing over his cute rolls
-foot moisterizer before bed
-caulking for all door and window jams to prevent drafts during the winter
-you know how they use vaseline in beauty pageants to make it easier to smile for long periods of time…? Okay, that would be gross.

Seriously, 20?

P.S. Thanks for all your loverly comments over at Delovely!

Heidi | 3/5/2008 1:00 pm

LOL!!! Jesse, you ROCK!!! :):):)

charlotte | 3/5/2008 1:01 pm

LOL! I totally do the same thing. Although the bummer is that I don’t think shortening stores well. Doesn’t it get rancid? I od’d at the cannery on instant refried beans because everyone told me they are “sooooo good.” I’ve yet to use a bag. Sigh. I suppose though if we got hungry enough though I’d figure it out!

Heidi | 3/5/2008 1:27 pm

Yeah, somehow I got it in my head that shortening lasts forever—but, alas, even if it did last forever, it doesn’t help if I never use it! (It was actually Erika that told me it goes bad–and Thad that laughed his head off when he saw a whole shelf in our garage filled with them).

Oh–refried beans! I really do love the refried beans and was so sad when I heard they’re discontinuing them. :( Maybe I could trade you some shortening for your refried beans??? :):)

alycia | 3/5/2008 2:10 pm

Oh Heidi, you make me laugh. :)

Heidi | 3/5/2008 2:12 pm

20 cans!!! You are funny. I go on shopping sprees like that too (not with shortening though) when there are good sales! You can make yummy chocolate chip cookies with shortening! With all the shortening you have you could make enough for an army!!! :)

Ailene Hert | 3/6/2008 6:24 am

Shortening makes good biscuits too… break out the recipe book! Oh wait… we know about your cooking… (wink). :)

Tearese | 3/6/2008 7:31 am

Ewww, rancid shortening.

Erika | 3/6/2008 11:09 am

You still have it?!?!? Oh, Heidi…throw it out. I’d recommend it as a moisturizer as well, but your place never gets dry to the point that your skin starts to crack.

Free yourself of the rancid beasts…

Heidi | 3/6/2008 12:34 pm

Oh, I love you all!! You are so fun!!!
—–
Erika: You’ll be proud to know it was set free this morning when the garbage man came. :):)

Jenica | 3/6/2008 4:25 pm

Oh no Heidi, you could have offered it as a giveaway! :/

Heidi | 3/6/2008 8:31 pm

Doh! Why didn’t I think of that?!? :):)

Thanks so much for visiting, Jenica!!