Unexpected development

October 29th, 2007

Inspiration for this post came to me while standing in Lowe’s about 20 minutes ago.

Staring down at the concrete floor, I shook my head and thought, “There’s got to be a better way…”

See, Bubbers started a new adventure last week. Now that he can sit up like a champ, I decided to introduce him to the “big boy” way of sitting in shopping carts. Boy did he love it!

HPIM6952

He held up his fists the entire time (much more sanitary that way) and gave me his famous “concerned” look.

HPIM6948

No, he’s not going to cry. He’s actually having the time of his life.

HPIM6957

He even tried to sneak a taste of a nightgown in the women’s department when I wasn’t looking.

All in all, it was a raving success.

And then.

He spit up.

“Hmm,” I said as I watched it splat loudly on the floor of Walmart, “I didn’t expect that.”

I should have expected that, but I didn’t. When he was supine, the spit up just oozed around him in a puddle that we mopped up, no big deal. But now that he’s upright, it’s a whole different story.

Now it sails down, down, down, in all it’s liquid glory and announces itself for all to see and slip on.

At first, I considered wiping it up with his burp cloth.

But I just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t mop the nasty public floor with something I owned.

Then I considered telling someone who worked there, so they could mop it up. But then he spit up five more times. And I didn’t think Walmart could devote an employee to follow me during my whole trip to put up yellow “wet floor” signs behind us in every aisle.

So, I just left it there and hoped it would evaporate quickly. (Is that terrible or what?)

—–

Well, the same thing happened today in Lowe’s.

HPIM6987

(Man alive, that is one nasty bib. Sorry, y’all).

Only this time, he did two HUGE splats in the same aisle.

And they weren’t evaporating. At all.

So, on my way out I told a lady about it and she said she’d take care of it (and she even smiled and said Bubbers was adorable–what a nice lady).

And that’s when I realized I needed to ask for some advice. What do I do?

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Do I start bringing a roll of paper towels with me where ever we go and mop up after him?

Thank you for listening to my confession. And if you ever see a pool of spit up on the floor at a store, please forgive whoever left it there.

Tearese | 10/29/2007 2:52 pm

We mopped up the floor at wal-mart once or twice, and it was pretty gross; our burp cloths were so dirty afterwards!
honestly, I think we carried Elora until she was done spitting up. SO it just ended up all over us. And the floor.

Heidi | 10/29/2007 3:38 pm

Tearese,
–Thanks for the comment!
–Yeah, I mopped up the carpet at church once and that was all it took. I had no idea so much dirt was hiding down there!!!
–Wow, so you carried Elora, huh… How old was she when she stopped spitting up? Bubbers is 6 months now, but still going stronger than ever. :) His doctor said he’ll stop in time, but who knows when. I used to hold him, too, but now he’s about 20 lbs. and too heavy for me to hold and drag the shopping cart along at the same time.

andrea shaw | 10/29/2007 4:57 pm

i’ve never had that problem with isabelle, spitting up at the store. she stopped spitting up all the time at like 7 weeks or something like that. i wish i could give you some advice!! i saw the same thing happen to a woman at target and someone just cleaned it up for her, but the little boy was so smilin’ and happy. it was very cute. good luck with what ever you find works for you! i’m sure this next one might be my hard one and i will be asking for advice!

Heidi | 10/29/2007 11:15 pm

Andrea,
–Oh, wow–I keep forgetting that there are babies out there who don’t spit up. :) Don’t worry, I’m sure your little guy will be great.
–Isn’t it amazing how cute babies are no matter what they do? I love it! (And I’m glad I’m not the only one with this dilemma–I feel for you, Target mom).

Michelle | 10/30/2007 8:34 am

Heidi,

Your blog just keeps getting funnier and funnier. I wish I could help but this isn’t something we have had trouble with lately – just once at the airport with nothing to clean up with in sight, so I just keep walking …. oops. Maybe some wet wipes for if he makes a big mess?

Heidi | 10/30/2007 1:17 pm

Michelle,
–Thanks for visiting and commenting! I’m thrilled that you like my blog. :)
–Thank you, thank you, thank you for being another mom who just kept walking. You just made me sleep easier at night!!

Ailene Hert | 10/30/2007 8:15 pm

Hmm… I can’t say I’ve had that problem! Perhaps carry a couple of nasty rags just for those sorts of occasions? Save your nice burp rags for over your shoulder… save some nasty stained ones for the floors of public places… then stuff them in a plastic bag in the diaper bag. Then they can be washed in the laundry!

Or… you can simply wipe it up with baby wipes.

Or… you can run to the other side of the cart, and pull it full speed ahead while he is spitting up… so it makes a long trail that will evaporate instead of a puddle that won’t. :)

Heidi | 10/30/2007 11:20 pm

Ailene,
–Welcome to my blog! Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment!
–Great ideas–thank you! (Especially for a mom who hasn’t had to deal with this). The full speed ahead idea is hilarious! I’m sure Bubbers would get a kick out of that one. :)

Ailene Hert | 10/31/2007 8:59 pm

Yeah… I can just see it now… you running full speed ahead… and him giggling so hard that more spit up comes flying out… and you just dashing up and down the aisles of the store… not letting it all pile up in one place… he’d have a grand time. Of course, I could see your husband chasing after you guys getting the whole hilarious episode on tape… trying hard not to slip in what was left behind!!! :)

the Wife | 11/1/2007 6:59 am

Note to self. Carry the roll of paper towels, or disposable napkins every where you go with child.

Sorry to laugh at your expense, but this is seriously funny! Complete with sound effects! SPLAT! PLOP! Too funny!

Heidi | 11/1/2007 7:00 am

The Wife,

Thanks for visiting and commenting! I’m glad you enjoyed it–he’s such a funny little guy. :)

Shanda | 11/1/2007 7:27 am

Good ‘ol babywipes. I use them for EVERYTHING!!! I swear we are personally keeping huggies in business! :) I can’t believe how well he does in the cart. I haven’t put Kimmy in a cart yet outside of her carseat simply because she sucks on EVERYTHING and I find that quite disturbing…I should buy one of those cart things. Maybe for Christmas! :) I like your new blog by the way. Is it easy to use? We’re looking at changing ours this weekend.

Heidi | 11/6/2007 11:03 pm

Shanda,

–Thanks for the comment! Yes, aren’t baby wipes great? Unfortunately, they wouldn’t be quite enough for the volume of Bubbers’ spit up. :)
–I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did in the cart! I thought he was going to suck on it, too, but he never has. I’m crossing my fingers that he continues that way! :) I thought about buying a cart thing, but then I figured all the germs would just get on that… What do you think? I guess if you washed it a lot.
–I’m glad you like my new blog! Charming is the one who knows how to do all this stuff. He’s taught me how to use it. It’s not as easy as Blogger, but I like how versatile it is.